The Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act) regulates how personal information is handled. The Privacy Act defines personal information as:
…information or an opinion, whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable.
What is Personal Information?
What type of Personal Information does Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd collect and hold about me?
If you are a current or prospective tenant for a rental property, Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd may collect the following additional information from you:
- contact details (including, name, address, telephone number and email address);
- driver’s license number;
- employment details such as your employment status, employer, salary, length of employment;
- other sources of income; and
- personal and financial referees whom we may contact about your application.
- contact details (including, name, address, telephone number and email address);
- driver’s license number;
- current property ownership and title details;
- desired property ownership details; and
- details of properties sold or acquired by you.
How does Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd collect Personal Information about me?
Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd collects your Personal Information directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so. When collecting Personal Information from you, we may collect in various ways, including through when you write to or email us and during conversations between you and our representatives.
Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd may collect information about you from the following third party sources:
- various databases in the public domain such as Telstra White Pages, Titles Office or other property databases;
- credit reporting bodies, law enforcement agencies and other government entities; and
- referrals and recommendations from existing clients of Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd.
What happens if we can’t collect your Personal Information?
If you do not provide us with the Personal Information described above, some or all the following may happen:
- we may not be able to provide our services to you, either to the same standard or at all;
- we may not be able to provide you with information about services that you may want, including information about new properties that are available for rent or purchase.
Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd collects this information for a range of purposes including:
- enabling Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd to provide you with the services you may require;
- to comply with local, state and federal legislation or regulations, including with respect to property management and administration, real estate property sales;
- to enable Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd and its third-party partner businesses to assist you with related or ancillary services, as required e.g. repairs, maintenance, insurance, refurbishment, renovations;
- for our internal administrative, marketing and planning requirements;
- to share your Personal Information within Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd (including between Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd Pty and related entities such as prescribed suppliers, contractors or service providers validated by ourselves
- to update Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd’s records and keep your contact details up to date;
- to deal with your queries or customer service issues promptly, whether by email, telephone or mail;
- to conduct relevant business processing functions; and
- to process and respond to any complaint made by you.
How does Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd use the Personal Information held about me?
Any Personal Information about you that Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd collects and records will only be used or disclosed by Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd for the purpose of:
- compliance with obligations under real-estate regulations and laws applicable for Queensland;
- helping Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd efficiently and effectively deliver and improve on services;
- any other purpose if you would reasonably expect Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd to use or disclose that Personal Information for that other purpose and that other purpose is related to the purpose for which the information is collected;
- to conduct business processing functions including sharing Personal Information within Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd and with its contractors, service providers or other third parties; and
- for Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd’s administrative, planning, service development, quality control; and
- complying with any other relevant laws or regulations.
If Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd wishes to use or disclose any of your Personal Information in any other ways than described above, Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd will not do so unless it:
- has your express consent to do so;
- has reasonable grounds to believe that the use or disclosure is necessary to prevent a threat to life or health; or
- has reasonable grounds to believe that the use or disclosure is required by law or to enforce the law.
We may send you direct marketing communications and information about our services that we consider may be of interest to you. These may include:
- offering to provide you with services provided by Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd and third party business partners; or
- sending you news and other information about Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd’s activities and general promotional material which Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd believes may be of interest to you.
You may at any time request not to receive direct marketing from Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd by contacting us (see the details below) or by using opt-out facilities provided in the marketing communications and we will then ensure that your name is removed from our mailing list.
The Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd website
As our website is linked to the Internet, and the Internet is inherently insecure, we cannot provide any assurance regarding the security of transmission of information you communicate to us online. We also cannot guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted over the Internet. Accordingly, any Personal Information or other information, which you transmit to us online, is transmitted at your own risk.
Our website may contain links to other websites operated by third parties. We make no representations or warranties in relation to the privacy practices of any third party website and we are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of any third party website. Third party websites are responsible for informing you about their own privacy practices.
Can I be anonymous when I deal with Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd?
You can preserve your anonymity when you deal with Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd. You can browse our website without providing any Personal Information.
What happens if I want to access or correct the Personal Information held about me?
You may request access to your Personal Information held by Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd, at any time by contacting us (see details below). We will try to provide you with suitable means of accessing your Personal Information (for example, by emailing or emailing it to you), subject to some exceptions. We will respond to your request for access within 24 hours and endeavour to provide the requested information within 5 working days.
Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd may charge you a reasonable fee to cover its administrative and other reasonable costs in providing the information to you. Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd will not charge for simply making the request and will not charge for making any corrections to your Personal Information.
There may be instances where Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd cannot grant you access to the Personal Information we hold. For example, we may not be able to provide access to information in the following situations:
- where in Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd’s opinion providing your access may create a serious threat to the life or health of any individual or may be an unreasonable intrusion into the privacy of another individual;
- where your request for access is, in Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd’s opinion, frivolous or vexatious; or
- where providing access would be unlawful, may prejudice an investigation of possible unlawful activity, may prejudice enforcement of law, or denying access is specifically authorised by law.
If you believe that Personal Information Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd holds about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, then you may request that we amend it. Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd will consider if the information requires amendment. If Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd does not agree that there are grounds for amendment, then Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd will add a note to the Personal Information stating that you disagree with it.
Who does Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd disclose my Personal Information to?
We may disclose your Personal Information:
- to Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd employees and our contractors or service providers for the purposes of operation of our business, fulfilling requests by you, and to otherwise provide services to you;
- if you are a tenant of any property that we are managing, to the National Tenancy Database;
- to suppliers and other third parties with whom we have commercial relationships, for business, marketing, and related purposes; and
- to any organisation for any authorised purpose with your express consent.
Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd does not sell your personal details to other organisations. We may however use the information about you to assist us with internal marketing and research.
How does Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd keep my Personal Information secure?
Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd will take all reasonable steps to ensure information Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd collects, uses or discloses is stored in a secure environment that is accessed only by persons authorised by Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd so as to prevent interference, misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
If the Personal Information is no longer needed for any purpose, Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify the Personal Information.
Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd endeavours to provide a secure environment and a reliable system but you should be aware that there are inherent risks associated with the electronic storage and transmission of information (particularly via the Internet) which cannot be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
Who do I contact for further information or if I have a complaint or concern?
Hynard Property Management Pty Ltd Pty Ltd
58/86-124 Ogden Street
PO Box 1884
Townsville City QLD 4810
Mob: 0407 571566